Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday again, gotta love it!

I have a couple of pictures and a story I want to share with my Unity peeps before I show you my projects for the week.  I am the activity director in a nursing home.  I'm always looking for ways to get kids into the nursing home to interact with residents, and looking for successful intergenerational projects for the 2 age groups to work on.  These pictures are of 11 elementary summer school students and about 8 nursing home residents making greeting cards for Operation Write Home on Wednesday morning.  We were able to make over 40 cards in about 1 1/2 hours of card making.  We had a blast!



And, here's a couple of cards I made last weekend.  It was a rainy Saturday, so I got to play with my new Unity kit of the month (the hexagon border).  I also used 2 Ippity kits.

 I colored this card using TH distress inks and a paint brush.

This flower was colored using my 4 Copic markers.  I tried some shading for the 1st time, and used my gray marker to chane the green on parts of the stem and flowers.  I still have Copic fever.  I've been researching the darn things every evening, trying to find the best deal, and trying to find info on the best started colors.  I got some helpful hints last week (thanks so much!)  if anyone else has advise, I'd love to hear from you.  Where do you buy your markers?  Did you start with a set or did you build your own?  Who's recommendations did you go with if you built your own?  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks for looking at my pix and reading my long post!

20 comments:

  1. Julie... good job with the cards marathon. And great job with your cards. I love both, and love your coloring. I also like copics but have about 3 or 4 and stopped buying until I get a good deal (and also because my painting is not as good! LOL!). Thanks for the inspiration Friday Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie - great cards! I love the hexagons and the bees, super cute! Great job on the OWH cardmaking party. 40 is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project at the nursing home! Your cards are great - I love how you coloured the hexagon border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both cards and your job must be amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. AW! How fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the multi-color bees, they're so cute! When I want (need?) more Copics, I go to Kary Lim's blog because she's so good at listing her colors and so good at using them as well!

    Also, I keep meaning to tell you how much I like your profile pic. My furry babies look a lot like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the action shots! That's awesome that you got so many cards made for OWH. The hexes are so cool on your first card, and I love those bees! Beautiful coloring and color combination on your second card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me some 'bumbles', and yours are so colorful & happy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT cards!!! LOVE those hexagons!!! (=

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cards and your service project. I have been talking to my DAR chapter about doing a cardmaking session, such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you love what you do. My daughter has her degree in Long Term Care, so I understand your goals. Good for you for getting the young ones to join in the fun. Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your project getting kids working with elderly in the nursing home...and to benefit our service men and women--WOW! Love your hexagon/bee card--so very cute. I have some copics and haven't fallen in love with them yet...I have problems staying inside the lines when I color. However, they color better than any of the other markers I've used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these! Such cutie bees and a beautiful flower!
    ~JenMarie Taylor, {ippity} Chick

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome! What a great way for everyone to be involved! Sweet cards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie! Your cards are beautiful!! Love the cute little bees and the hexagons border. The flower card is gorgeous too. I really applaud your work with the young and older generation - it's so awesome to see the young interact and bring joy to the older folks. What a great way to have them make cards together! Keep up the Great job!!
    Btw, I sent an email to my sis once and accidentally had my name down as "Mary" too - now I turn off my auto-correct else I'll be signing off as Mary all the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. FABULOUS cards!!! You really know how to make amazing cards from that hexagon patterned stamp. Love the coloring technique you used in the second card!

    40 cards??? That is AWESOME!!! YOU ROCK JULIA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. he he love those bright colorful bees! so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are SO sweet! I love that big pink flower. So nicely colored!!

    ReplyDelete